Monday, March 11, 2019

how to interview?

Happy Monday! For this post, I'm going to be talking about interviewing. This week I will hopefully be interviewing my AP psychology teacher from last year, Dr. Sugerman for my magazine. I'm hoping that she will be able to give me more insight as to the psychological aspects of color in fashion. With any luck, I'll be able to gain valuable information from this interview that I'll be able to use for my two-page spread article. However, I am a little nervous since I've never really interviewed someone like this before. So, I decided to research interviewing in general to gain helpful tips and tricks.

One website that was very helpful was Managementhelp.org. This website described different types of interviews and well as interview questions. The types of interviews were informal, general, standardized, and closed. My interview will probably be general since I do have questions and concepts I need to cover but am willing to discuss other things as well. Then when it comes to questions, a lot of my questions are knowledge and opinion based. I recognize that my teacher is not an expert when it comes to color psychology, so I am open to opinion questions, hopefully, based off of other psychological knowledge. The page also talked about the general flow of questions and ensuring that there is a logical succession. As in asking about facts before opinions, and asking about the present before the past or future. All of this information was very helpful, as well as advice on wording. The questions are supposed to be open-ended and neutral in wording. In addition to this, I also found out that it's helpful to have some background on the questions you're asking. So I did some more research on color psychology specifically related to my questions. The page I referred to for a lot of the information was an article on Frontiers in Psychology. Here are a few examples of these techniques being implemented:


Have you ever known the memory of color to be better than with objects or words? If so, could you elaborate?

This question is open-ended and allows for the person being interviewed to state their opinion. It is also neutral and can be based on specific knowledge or merely opinion.

"Results show that people recall color to a higher degree. When people were asked to recall objects versus color, color memory was significantly greater."

This is based on research I've done on this question. This might be something to add on to the response given or something for further discussion later on.

Do you know of any link between color and eating/appetite?

This question is open-ended, and like the other question could be based on opinion if knowledge is lacking. It is also neutral in nature.

"Red has been shown to influence food and beverage perception and consumption. Participants ate fewer chocolate chips from a red (relative to blue or white) plate."

This is an experiment cited on the aforementioned page. Like in the other question, this could support the response or add to the discussion.

I feel a lot more prepared for this interview now, and I'm hoping it goes well! I will try to provide another update tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment