Sunday, March 3, 2019

camera flash!

Hi again!
This posting is about the photography component of the project!! Although I very much enjoy taking pictures, I definitely don't have any professional experience. And the experience I have doesn't extend to fashion photography, so for this post, I will be researching fashion photography for beginners, along different tips and tricks on the internet. 

The first resource I found was from the Manfrotto Imagine More site. This site included a post about Kaye Ford's experience with fashion photography and advice for anyone starting out. Ford talks about the importance of lighting and speaks about her own use of a reflector with her professional camera. In the post, she also talks about how this photography can tell a story, especially through the use of props. This is an interesting concept that can be brought into the magazine project. Using props or in general keeping in mind what story is being told. Photography as a whole usually functions for the purpose of telling a story that cannot be told in words. That's why it is often said that a picture is worth a thousand words. I very much like this idea and want to reflect it onto the magazine project. 

The post also talks about posing and composition when working with models. This is something we've partly studied in class when talking about composition in film openings. One of the concepts we've reflected on is the rule of thirds, while applies here as well. The rule of thirds can be helpful because it allows you to focus on a certain area by sticking to these "lines." This may make it easier to photograph for the project. Another area of importance is the clothes themselves, according to Ford. In fashion magazines, there are occasionally close up photos. However, most photographs do focus on the clothing or fashion aspect. So a tip provided was photographing with movement, which I like. This will make the pictures visually interesting.

Image result for rule of thirds with model
from Mastin Labs

Next, I found another article on the Expert Photography site. This article talked about the different types of fashion photography. According to this site, fashion photography is about selling a lifestyle. And within fashion photography, there exist the catalog, editorial, and high fashion categories. I didn't realize there were divisions before so this was very helpful. The article described catalog as more simple and informational, editorial as focused on lifestyle, and high fashion as the big expensive production. According to this, I believe this project will be more involved in catalog photography, possibly mixing with editorial. 

Image result for 3 diff kinds of fashion photography
from Expert Photography

All of this information from these websites has been incredibly helpful in teaching me how I can succeed in this area of photography for the magazine. I"m excited to begin working on composing these shots and pictures. I know that a large component of this is finding the right models as well. During this research I found information on models and posing, so I've decided that I'll most likely be including a future posting that focuses solely on that portion of the project. I'm excited for that research and can't wait to continue working on my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment