Monday, March 4, 2019

content!

Happy Monday! For this post, I'm going to be focusing on the content of fashion magazines. Although I have read some spreads in the past, I know that it would be helpful to get tips on what exactly to write about. I have read overall about the importance of researching magazines within the genre and getting ideas from their content and spreads. This is something I will definitely be doing, especially with magazines already popular within the genre. However, I found a site that offers a bit more of context on content for my magazine. The flipsnack blog gave this insight.

This site gave the idea of a mood board which I think will be helpful. I've used mood boards before for different projects and I believe this will help me determine the style of my magazine. Here are some examples of mood boards:

How to Create a Color Mood Board by Gudy Herder










The site also gave me content ideas. Some of these were the latest trends in fashion in creative ways, beauty tips and tricks, articles with influential people, and health and care. Other suggestions were using pull lines and captions for pictures that explain content. Another idea I read up on was how faith and religion influence wardrobe and style choices, which would definitely make an interesting article.

I decided to look at another site as well in order to learn more about what I can write about in my magazine. This site included an article that was interesting because it was basically challenging all of the stereotypical fashion magazine ideas. Although I found some of the concepts in the Guardian's article a bit too out there, I did enjoy some of them and it was very interesting to read. Some examples of ideas were body positivity, denying men's right to decide what's okay for women to do/say/wear, and how to give rejections out. Although I don't know if I could use any of these ideas, I know that I could use them to make my magazine more interesting and different. 

Another concept that I found interesting was color and the way it's meaning changes throughout different seasons and states of mind or being. This may be something that I'll explore more in future research. So far, I believe these sources have helped me see what my options are. I'm going to continue my search to make a final decision about the content of my two-page spread.

Sources:
Benoit, S. (2015, October 28). A list of things I wish women's magazines would publish. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/28/things-i-wish-womens-magazines-would-publish
How to design a fashion magazine like Vogue. (2019, January 21). Retrieved from https://blog.flipsnack.com/how-to-design-a-fashion-magazine-like-vogue/
Lundin, K. (2017, November 28). How to Use a Mood Board to Inspire Your Small Business Brand. Retrieved from https://www.crowdspring.com/blog/small-business-branding-mood-board/
Mood boards: How to translate a color trend into a mood board? by at{Gudy Herder. (2019, March 04). Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/229120699775757098/

No comments:

Post a Comment